Do I Need Two Way Radio Licensing?


To date, there is a lot of bad information out there about FCC licensing and two way radios, so we thought we would help clear the air. You may be wondering, “Do I need a FCC license for my two way radio?” The answer is almost always “yes”. Now, there are a few times when users are not required to have an FCC license, and purchasing a radio such as the Motorola DTR 650 is one of them, which operates on a FCC license free band of 900 MHz.

Other times when a license is not required is if users operate on a wide area network. Many times, if you are a user paying a monthly fee to operate on a radio tower, the owner will provide the coverage for the FCC license. When in doubt, it is best to ask the tower provider if FCC licensing is covered. Pretty much any two way radio used for business is required to have an FCC license, other than these examples. Fines from the FCC can be costly, averaging several thousand dollars per occurrence, so we always suggest obtaining a license if you operate two way radios. Feel free to contact us at 866-605-TALK or online for any questions regarding FCC licensing.

Back to News