Here is the Talk Two-Way radio FAQ for questions we receive on a regular basis.

How Can I Contact You?

Call us at 866.605.8255 or use our easy contact form for answers to any other two-way radio FAQ you might have.

UHF Versus VHF-Which is better for my application?

Many of our customers at ask what the difference is between UHF and VHF. If you are a user that is going to operate outdoors then we generally suggest VHF band. VHF or (very high frequency) operates in the 136-174 range, typically this range works best for users such as landscapers, survey companies, construction road crews and fire departments.

If you are going to be in building then we suggest UHF or (ultra high frequency). UHF band is in the 438-512 range, this is a overall better option for penetrating walls and going through concrete. Examples of UHF users are: schools, hotels, warehouses and manufacturing.

What kind of range can I expect from my two way radio?

Range is difficult to estimate because it depends on terrain. Radios are line of sight so anything that is in between radios will affect range. It has been our experience that most four watt UHF radios will cover around 250,000 sq ft or up to 20 floors in building. If you are outdoors then most two way radios will not cover more than a couple of miles without being on some type of tower system. We have tested many of the radios here at our office in Charlotte NC. Recently we tested the CP200 UHF analog model and we found that it covered about 1.5 miles before we lost contact with the other user. Newer digital model radios have an estimated 20% better coverage over analog. It is important to note that these are estimates and coverage will be different for everyone.

What is the FCC?
The Federal Communications Commission (FCC) is an independent United States government agency, directly responsible to Congress. The FCC was established by the Communications Act of 1934 and is charged with regulating interstate and international communications by radio, television, wire, satellite and cable. The FCC's jurisdiction covers the 50 states, the District of Columbia, and U.S. possessions.

Do FRS (Family Radio Service) radios require a license?
FRS radios, such as the Motorola TalkAbout™, are very low power and do not require FCC Licensing because they are intended to be used by family, friends, and associates to communicate within a neighborhood or while on outings. Radios used for FRS cannot transmit at more than one half watt of power and they must have non-detachable antennas. Because of these rules, the range of FRS radios is typically limited to a half mile or less.

Who is required to have an FCC license?
Almost all, commercial or public entity radios need to be licensed. The only exception to this rule is if you are an ERS trunking subscriber in where ERS already holds a license for you to use on the owners tower. Family Radio Service (FRS) radios generally don’t need a license because they are low power and are intended for family, friends and associates in a neighborhood or recreationally. These radios have attached antennae and at maximum a half watt of power. They usually cover a half mile or less. Other exceptions may include some 900 MHz bands and MURS Frequencies. does offer a few options in FCC License Free Radios, please contact us 866-605-TALK for details.

Are there penalties for using radios without an FCC License?
Yes. FCC policy statement 91-217 (effective August 1, 1991) established fines of $8,000 per day for unlicensed and/or improperly licensed use of a radio system. There are various other fines that can also be charged. does offer licensing services for customers when new radios are purchased, please contact us for details. We offer a few options for license-free radios. Get in touch with us for details.

If you have questions about FCC licensing please contact us 866-605-TALK. We are always happy to answer any questions.

What are MURS Frequencies? Multi use radio service freuqncies are license free and operate at 2 watts of power. They are typically in the range of 151-154 and require a permant mounted antenna to qualify under the guidelines.